Monday, February 1, 2010

Grilled Chicken with Tomato-Avocado Salsa

My roommate came home with this recipe last week. She got it from a co-worker that said it was to die for. So of course we tried it. And let me tell you it was amazing! I did make a few minor adjustments though. I added more avocado and used serrano peppers instead of the jalapeño pepper (I like things spicy but not that spicy).

Ingredients
For the salsa
4 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped or 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño chili pepper, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 avocado

For the chicken
1/2 cup non-fat, plain yogurt
1/2 small red onion
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 4 to 6 ounces each
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper

Directions
For the salsa:
1. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, red onion, pepper and cilantro.
2. Chop the avocado and sprinkle it with 2 tablespoons of lime juice to keep it from browning. Add the avocado and remaining lime juice to the bowl and toss to combine.
(This can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.)

For the chicken:
1. In a small food processor, puree the yogurt, red onion, lime juice and cilantro to make a yogurt marinade.
2. Transfer the marinade to a shallow bowl or a plastic bag. Add the chicken and coat well with the marinade. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
3. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinade, discard the remaining marinade and season the chicken with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken on both sides until it is cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.
5. Serve the chicken with tomato-avocado salsa.

Nutrition Facts per serving: 1 chicken breast and salsa
Calories: 283
Fat: 6 g 

3 comments:

  1. ohh my this sounds amazing!!! I like your adjustments. I have to try it. The "IM ON A BOAT" shirt is in Hot Topic right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds very good, Hah this blog makes me hungry every time you post a new meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to say thanks for putting up these recipes. I am living on my own without a meal plan for the first time and have been struggling to find the time to look up recipes and cook them. I now just check this blog to see what I could make for dinner. Delicious! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete